The need for a school in Wembley was identified as early as 1916 but it was not until 1936 that the original two rooms were built and Wembley School opened as a Junior School to relieve the pressure on West Leederville Primary. The original plan was for eleven rooms to be built in stages. At the end of November 1936, there were 72 students enrolled.
By 1940, four more classrooms, an office and staffroom had been added but there was still the need to have students taught in the Methodist Church hall as there were 228 enrolments. After the Second World War, the suburb grew to such an extent that more classrooms were added. The ‘baby boomers’ had arrived. In 1956, Wembley School was given full status as a Primary School.
Throughout the 1960s and 1970s, enrolments continued to climb. More classrooms, office areas and a canteen were added and the need for more playing grounds became paramount. Through the efforts of the parents, it was decided that houses in Alexander St and Jersey St would be purchased and then demolished to allow for the construction of the oval. Our oval is now named the Bob Pritchard Oval in honour of the architect of this project.
In 1986, when enrolments had dropped to around 270, construction began on the Undercover Area with a skeleton structure built that allowed for enclosing of the area in the future. This was done in 2004.
Once again, parent power was needed to secure the building of the Specialist Teaching and Administration block in 1999. This became necessary as there were five transportable classrooms on the site.
Since then, Wembley Primary has had the Senior Block (2008), Pre Primary Block (2008), Kindergarten Extensions, Middle School Block and an oval refurbishment (2014) and a second storey added to the Specialist Block (2018). Wembley Primary School now caters for approx 800 students from Kindergarten to Year 6.